We'll review your information as part of our ongoing research.
Our investigation continues into environmental sustainability in the fashion industry, plus some bite-sized facts on food waste.
Subscribe to get The Business Pickle newsletter in your inbox every week.
We’re continuing to investigate our fourth research topic: environmental sustainability in the fashion industry, and have included some inspiration on the topic in our ‘interesting findings’ below.
We’ve also made sure to include some bite-sized facts on food waste as our latest podcast, Food Waste Part 3, is out now! Make sure to check it out if you like what you see below.
1. The world’s top five greenhouse gas emitters are as follows, China, the USA, food waste, India, and Russia. One of those isn’t like the others.
2. The food and agriculture industry is expected to double its food supply by 2050 to feed an increasing population while also decreasing its emissions. That’s an equation that doesn’t quite add up, read about what businesses can do to even up the scales here.
3. Seemingly new solutions to decreasing packaging waste, such as returnable or refillable packaging, aren’t quite so new at all. In fact up until the 1940s “things were actually quite circular”, as pointed out by Terracycle CEO Tom Szaky. Maybe it’s time to take a lesson from the 1940s and bring back the milkman!
4. In a study done in Sub-Saharan Africa between 1931 and 2000, it was found that half of all clothing industry job losses were attributed to clothing handouts. This is an eye-opening example of how kind-hearted donations can sometimes do more harm than good by damaging local economies.
5. On average Australians purchase 14.8kg of clothing every year, equating to 56 new items per person, per year. These are some of the alarming figures published in a report by Monash University on how to transition the Australian fashion industry towards a more sustainable future.
Food waste part three: sustainable food systems and new technologies
This is part three and the final part of our series on the problem of food waste. What can you expect to hear from us? → →
The Business Pickle is here for leaders ready to do good.
Research, case studies, podcasts, toolkits, actions: everything to help you fast track doing business for good. We provide resources and strategic advice for teams to improve their impact.
Using business as a force for good is possible, but complicated. How is your business tracking when it comes to its social and environmental impact? Have you got a plan in place? Do you know where to focus your efforts? If you need a hand, get in touch for a quick chat about how we could help.
Using business as a force for good can be quite the pickle. While you want to balance profit with purpose, real-world challenges get in the way. We don’t have all the answers at The Business Pickle, but we sure have fun seeking them out.
No lectures or silver bullets. Just lessons learned, research uncovered, and experiences shared by some of the world’s brightest voices on making an impact through business.
Search Pickle research topics, listen to podcasts, see what topics are coming up or download our in-depth reports.
Is your business ready to level up on improving your impact? The Business Pickle is here to help.
We're always looking for case studies, experts and the latest studies to feature in our research, plus your thoughts and questions.